Care For, About or To?

Care For, About or To?

Hello and welcome to Fransy Fancy English! The verb "care" has lots and lots of meanings, depending on the preposition. Let's make things clear!


CARE FOR SOMEBODY/SOMETHING (phrasal verb)

A. To care for somebody is to take care of them or look after them. We care for people who aren't able to do it themselves, be it our elderly relatives, our kids when we leave for work or a patient in the hospital.


"Ukrainian soldiers are being cared for in hospitals or in the fields."
"She moved back home to care for her elderly parents."
"Can your friend care for my dog while I am away?"
"Who will care for my children if one of us has to isolate?"
"Girls, show me the way. I have a husband to care for!"


B. We all have someone we cherish and care for in a friendly way. We think the world of them and it has nothing to do with sex. It can be a hobby, our pet or our job we are devoted to.

"I get the feeling he really cares for me."
"Even though they are no longer together, she still cares for her ex-husband as a friend."
"He cares more for his job than his family."


C. When you buy something new, you want to keep it in good condition. 

"Buy a case and protect your screen if you want to care for your new iPhone."


D. You can use "care for" to ask someone if they want something. This meaning is considered formal.
This opposite is "I don't care for X" which in this sense means "I don't like".

"Would you care for some coffee?"
"I don't care for ice cream.".


CARE TO DO SOMETHING

If you don't care to do something today, you don't feel like it.

"I don't really care to work today."
"Would you care to join us for dinner?"


CARE ABOUT SOMETHING/SOMEONE

If you have regard for someone or something, you care about them. It is used a lot in the negative to mean that someone isn't  interested in something or someone.

"Why does the government only care about money?"
"He is so self-centered to care about other people."
"I don't care about the news anymore. Channels don't report objectively."
"In many wealthy countries, waste is the environmental problem that people care about most."
"I feel so fortunate to have people who care about me!"



IDIOMS

WHO CARES? (informal)
WHAT DO I CARE? (informal)
I COULDN'T CARE LESS (informal)

People often use these idioms when they think that something is unimportant. 

A:"There is a party at Paul's tonight."
B:"Who cares?"

"Who cares what day it is. The same daily grind is wearing me down."

A: "Have you noticed that she put on weight? Does she have a bun in the oven?"
B: "What do I care?"

"I couldn't care less about designer clothes."

"Honestly, I couldn't care less if they fire me."


Ready to learn more? Subscribe to my blog and you won't miss a thing!



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hire, Recruit or Employ?

Transfer, Transmit, Transport or Transit?

Conceive, Perceive, Receive or Deceive?