Work In, At or For?

Work In, At or For?

Hello and welcome to Fransy Fancy English! Do we work in or at a shop? In, at or for a company? Let's get straight to it. 





People use the preposition "at" when the name of the shop, company or store is mentioned.

"I work at Starbucks."
"I work at McDonald's."
"I work at Nike."
"I work at the Pasteur Institute."
"I work at City National Bank."
"I work at Brown's Hotel in London."
"I work at a Shell gas station."
"I work at the John Radcliffe Hospital."
"I work at Moscow University."

Use "in" with career fields and departments.

"I work in education/communications/advertising/HR as a …"
"I work in the oil/medical/banking/music/film/tourism/auto/steel/computer/entertainment/business industry as a …"
"I work in the healthcare/tourism/food/retail/finance/housing/energy sector as a …"
"I work in the fire/police/marketing/sales/personnel/history/electronics/accounting as a … "

If you work indoors, you can use the preposition "in".

I work at a bank/hotel/hospital/school/grocery store. (General location)
I work in a bank/hotel/hospital/school/grocery store. ("In" describes the location, you work inside a building.)

I work in an office.
I work in a factory.
I work in a restaurant.

If you want to stress your employer, you can use the preposition "for".

"I work for a computer company."
"I work for an engineering company."
"I work for the government."
"I work for Microsoft/Nike."
"I work for McDonald's."
"I work for my father."

You can use "with" and "from" in theses cases:

"I work from home."
"I work with people/children/teenagers/customers/friends/clients/family."



Wait a second, am I missing something here? Tell me in the comments.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hire, Recruit or Employ?

Transfer, Transmit, Transport or Transit?

Conceive, Perceive, Receive or Deceive?